Monday, September 02, 2013

Friday Silent Reading

 Fridays are a bit different in Room 5.  Our usual schedule is a bit off.  For example:  Silent Reading
 We actually haven't even started Silent Reading...but Friday, our first Friday, I did something I don't think I've ever done.
 During the regular school year on Fridays, I usually let Room 5 sit with a partner (not a group, just a partner) and read a non-chapter book.  This could be a comic book, a yearbook, Where's Waldo...etc. 
  However, I never start it the first week of school.  This year was different because this group has been so incredibly well behaved and followed directions so well, that coupled with the absolutely beautiful day it was outside, I decided to let them start. 
 I have carpet squares they are welcome to take outside our room and sit on....or they can use them in the classroom.  They're also welcome to sit at their own desk...or at a table...
 We had students doing all the choices available...
 Some started outside...but the 'beautiful weather' was a bit too warm for some of them, so they came back inside. 
We definitely started this fourth grade year with a super week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It felt very comfortable I always cant wait till the next Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kai